Mostly Not Running Related
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mostly Not Running Related

MNRR is for runners, cyclists or whatever your sport. Pull up a chair, New members welcome!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Autism

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Autism   Autism EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 7:23 pm

When I was a kid/teenager I never heard of autism. It was not common. I've spoken to many other persons around the same age as me and they same the same as well, including people from other countries.

I thought of posting this thread because I ran into a friend I have not seen in about 20 years. She has 3 children. All 3 are autistic. Her and her husband don't have autism in their families.

Although there are many theories as to why autism is so common today, mostly pointing the finger at immunizations, I'm curious as to what other folks think why autism is so common?

I'm sure my children received the same required immunizations as autistic children have.

Discuss...
Back to top Go down
https://nrrishere.forumotion.com
Nazaretti

Nazaretti

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 8:18 pm

I think most of the increased incidence is due to increased awareness and looser diagnostic criteria. This kind of child always was around, but was called something other than "autistic".

I think some of the increase is real. The evidence seems to point against a major role of immunizations. Which doesn't mean that cases of autism due to immunization never occur, just that they are too rare to show up in statistics.

What other countries have you heard about?
Back to top Go down
RSX

RSX

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 10:00 pm

I agree with Naz that we are just more aware. Now it's common to say someone is on the spectrum as a guess. My nephew is autistic, but on the mild end of the scale. I can't say which side of the family it could have come from, since it wasn't known years ago that well anyway.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 3:44 pm

Nazaretti wrote:
I think most of the increased incidence is due to increased awareness and looser diagnostic criteria.  This kind of child always was around, but was called something other than "autistic".

I think some of the increase is real.  The evidence seems to point against a major role of immunizations.  Which doesn't mean that cases of autism due to immunization never occur, just that they are too rare to show up in statistics.

The person/woman was from England now living in the states.
Back to top Go down
birdwell

birdwell

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 4:14 pm

+1 to naz.

I am convinced that were I a child today, I would be placed on the autism spectrum (I had some difficulties adjusting to school as a child)

On one hand, I think the increased awareness is great, on the other hand, I think the increased awareness is used to often as an excuse.

And, I may get flamed for this, but I think that many of those who choose to blame vaccinations for the behavioral problems of their children are looking for an easier excuse than their failed parenting. Specifically with those parents who choose what I call the "hippy parenting" style. Those parents who are always about "letting the child explore and figure out who they are" and not imposing "rules" because that would "hinder their growth and free spirit".

Stop it. Children thrive when they have structure.

Also, those who blame vaccinations need to take a college level biology/chemistry class. Because they are complete morons.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

Nazaretti

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 4:29 pm

birdwell wrote:
+1 to naz.

I am convinced that were I a child today, I would be placed on the autism spectrum (I had some difficulties adjusting to school as a child)

On one hand, I think the increased awareness is great, on the other hand, I think the increased awareness is used to often as an excuse.

And, I may get flamed for this, but I think that many of those who choose to blame vaccinations for the behavioral problems of their children are looking for an easier excuse than their failed parenting. Specifically with those parents who choose what I call the "hippy parenting" style. Those parents who are always about "letting the child explore and figure out who they are" and not imposing "rules" because that would "hinder their growth and free spirit".

Stop it. Children thrive when they have structure.

Also, those who blame vaccinations need to take a college level biology/chemistry class. Because they are complete morons.

Seems like a couple of your buttons got pushed!
Back to top Go down
birdwell

birdwell

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm a little cranky today.
My summer school classes (geology and, wait for it, BIOLOGY!) aren't as easy as I wanted them to be. I'm trying to get ahead on my assignments before I go on vacation next week and it's not making me pleasant to be around.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

Nazaretti

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 4:53 pm

HonkyTonkRunner wrote:
Nazaretti wrote:
I think most of the increased incidence is due to increased awareness and looser diagnostic criteria.  This kind of child always was around, but was called something other than "autistic".

I think some of the increase is real.  The evidence seems to point against a major role of immunizations.  Which doesn't mean that cases of autism due to immunization never occur, just that they are too rare to show up in statistics.

The person/woman was from England now living in the states.

Autism does run in families. That doesn't mean it is "genetic" - after all, recipes run in families, too (thank you, Steven Pinker)!

Lots of good information here: http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/index.html

As for the vaccine connection, it cannot be very strong if it exists at all, or the statistics would show a connection. It may just be that kids get routine childhood vaccinations at about the same age as when autistic behaviors become evident, so people see a causal connection where none really exists. Or it could be that vaccination rarely triggers a biological response that rarely interacts with the developing brain in a way that leads to autism.

The developing human body and mind are insanely complex. The more you learn about it, the more complex it seems and the more cautious you become about saying something can never happen. At least that is where I have come out after B.S., Ph.D., post doc, and career in biology (that's for you, birdwell!).
Back to top Go down
birdwell

birdwell

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 5:04 pm

Ph.D. in Biology?

Ummmm, can I give you my log in to masteringbilogy.com and get you to take my midterm for me?
(just kidding. kind of)

The vaccine thing is a prime example of causation/correlation.
Back to top Go down
RSX

RSX

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 7:48 pm

My nephew was born somewhere between 30-32 weeks. I have a hunch that could have been part of it.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

Nazaretti

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 pm

birdwell wrote:
Ph.D. in Biology?

Ummmm, can I give you my log in to masteringbilogy.com and get you to take my midterm for me?
(just kidding. kind of)

The vaccine thing is a prime example of causation/correlation.

I bet you'll do fine on both the Bio and Rocks.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 10:40 pm

Or it can be the GMO in foods from the parents diet? Just another theory.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

Nazaretti

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptySat Jun 25, 2016 6:46 am

HonkyTonkRunner wrote:

I'm pretty sure GMO food makes you grow horns and a tail, hadn't heard about the autism link but why not?
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Nazaretti wrote:
HonkyTonkRunner wrote:

I'm pretty sure GMO food makes you grow horns and a tail:laughing1: , hadn't heard about the autism link but why not?

At my party my friends who's children have special needs (not autism) explained -

There always was autism, but in the way past it was called retarded.

Another example. Manic depression is now called bi-polar.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

Nazaretti

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 7:38 pm

Seems more and more oddities are being called "diseases". I suspect well over half the population can find themselves somewhere in DSM-5. Sends the unfortunate message that if you are anywhere near the tails of the normal distribution, you need medical treatment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Autism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autism   Autism Empty

Back to top Go down

Autism
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mostly Not Running Related :: NRR Refugees :: General Discussion-
Jump to: