Mostly Not Running Related

MNRR is for runners, cyclists or whatever your sport. Pull up a chair, New members welcome!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Daily Workout Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
Nazaretti

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:40 pm

HonkyTonkRunner wrote:
I've gotten back to my hot yoga. Not so much for the stretching, but for the meditation after the class. Very relaxing.

I did some speed work yesterday. I forgot how great that felt. No pain today! A milestone for me.  

Running fast is just plain fun!
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:39 am

After a week of rest for my pulled calf, I managed 3 miles on the mostly-level road this morning. The calf was still not 100%, so I eased back to a mid-foot landing on that side, keeping to my usual fore-foot landing on the other side.

Last week I got a nasty tick bite between two toes on the opposite foot. The foot got red, swollen and itchy. I am now on antibiotics as a precaution against Lyme disease and related infections. Many of my neighbors and all my dogs have been through these, and they are no fun at all.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Ticks in PA in February? YUCK. Dang I hate those little suckers. Hoping you heal up quickly, Nazaretti.
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Ticks already? Nasty little buggers!

It's been three months since I broke the fifth metatarsal in my left foot, and today I got released from the boot! I can start running again, slow and easy and short. No more than half a mile to start and work up to a mile at the end of the first week. If no problems, I can keep on increasing the daily distance.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:52 am

Poppy Ott wrote:
Ticks already?  Nasty little buggers!

It's been three months since I broke the fifth metatarsal in my left foot, and today I got released from the boot!  I can start running again, slow and easy and short.  No more than half a mile to start and work up to a mile at the end of the first week.  If no problems, I can keep on increasing the daily distance.

Great news! Easy does it.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:39 pm

Yeah, Poppy, that's such good news. Careful.

I'm pretty excited about a hike on my schedule tomorrow. 9.3 miles, local trail. Group hike with a bunch of people I probably don't know. Hope I like it, as the group has a total of 21 one day hikes planned throughout the year on different sections of the NCT. Weather looks perfect tomorrow, High in the 40's.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:36 am

Anotherrun wrote:
Yeah, Poppy, that's such good news.  Careful.

I'm pretty excited about a hike on my schedule tomorrow.  9.3 miles, local trail.  Group hike with a bunch of people I probably don't know.  Hope I like it, as the group has a total of 21 one day hikes planned throughout the year on different sections of the NCT.  Weather looks perfect tomorrow, High in the 40's.

That's a long hike, I'll watch for your report on how it goes. I've been considering whether to add walking to my exercise mix. There are some nice places to walk around here where I cannot run because the particular type of gravel aggravates a mild neuroma in my foot.
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:50 am

Nazaretti wrote:
Anotherrun wrote:
Yeah, Poppy, that's such good news.  Careful.

I'm pretty excited about a hike on my schedule tomorrow.  9.3 miles, local trail.  Group hike with a bunch of people I probably don't know.  Hope I like it, as the group has a total of 21 one day hikes planned throughout the year on different sections of the NCT.  Weather looks perfect tomorrow, High in the 40's.

That's a long hike, I'll watch for your report on how it goes.  I've been considering whether to add walking to my exercise mix.  There are some nice places to walk around here where I cannot run because the particular type of gravel aggravates a mild neuroma in my foot.

That should be a lot of fun. Looking forward to your report and, of course, pics!
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Hike report.  Meet up was at a local brewery.  Plan was to have lunch and brew after the walk.  Left most cars there and combined into a few cars to the hike start.  Nice park, didn't get a picture, sorry.  We headed out, 15 people hiked about an hour through nice scenery, got a potty break at a road crossing with a McDonalds.  Headed on through a section of a biological preserve.  These pics are from the hike organizers FB page.   Very nice group.  Dave and I and 3 others were not already hooked into a trail group of some sort.  So lots of talk of what the different groups are doing and struggling to do in there areas.  I will probably join the local chapter of NCT.  Been thinking about volunteering with an ecological based group, this one would be a pretty good fit for me.  Hiking was good, we did 9.3 miles in about 3.5 hrs.  I will enjoy the next legs of the trail, as this leg is local to me and we hike, bike on parts of it pretty regularly. And yes, I am the one ridulously brightly dressed!

Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Nice! Our closest walking / biking trail is the Tanglefoot trail 50 miles south, and I am a member of Rails to Trails.
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 am

First week of just running, sort of, since the metatarsal break in November. Sort of because it's not straight running, there are lots of walk breaks. We are at Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week and Pigeon Forge is one of my favorite away from home places to run. 5.15 miles yesterday morning, 5 even this morning.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Poppy Ott wrote:
First week of just running, sort of, since the metatarsal break in November.  Sort of because it's not straight running, there are lots of walk breaks.  We are at Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week and Pigeon Forge is one of my favorite away from home places to run.  5.15 miles yesterday morning, 5 even this morning.

Glad to hear you are on the mend!
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Good luck, Poppy. Glad you are able to get some running in. Have you ever met Dolly Parton? For some reason, I am betting, yes.... I know, wierdo, Internet friend asks Wierd questions. Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Anotherrun wrote:
Good luck, Poppy.  Glad you are able to get some running in.  Have you ever met Dolly Parton?  For some reason, I am betting, yes.... I know, wierdo, Internet friend asks Wierd questions.   Razz Razz

It actually met, but we have seen her walking around Dollywood.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:50 pm

That's cool. I have utmost respect for Dolly.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Anotherrun wrote:
Hike report.  Meet up was at a local brewery.  Plan was to have lunch and brew after the walk.  Left most cars there and combined into a few cars to the hike start.  Nice park, didn't get a picture, sorry.  We headed out, 15 people hiked about an hour through nice scenery, got a potty break at a road crossing with a McDonalds.  Headed on through a section of a biological preserve.  These pics are from the hike organizers FB page.   Very nice group.  Dave and I and 3 others were not already hooked into a trail group of some sort.  So lots of talk of what the different groups are doing and struggling to do in there areas.  I will probably join the local chapter of NCT.  Been thinking about volunteering with an ecological based group, this one would be a pretty good fit for me.  Hiking was good, we did 9.3 miles in about 3.5 hrs.  I will enjoy the next legs of the trail, as this leg is local to me and we hike, bike on parts of it pretty regularly.   And yes, I am the one ridulously brightly dressed!

Luck y you! This looks awesome! We are thinking of going to NH during the April break. Renting a cabin in the woods. Lots of trails and all.
Hopefully there is still availability. I got the information from their COC.

HonkyTonkRunner

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Poppy Ott wrote:
First week of just running, sort of, since the metatarsal break in November.  Sort of because it's not straight running, there are lots of walk breaks.  We are at Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week and Pigeon Forge is one of my favorite away from home places to run.  5.15 miles yesterday morning, 5 even this morning.

great news PO!

HonkyTonkRunner

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Lots of yoga and short runs.
Knock wood. Have not had any back or knee pain in weeks.

Poppy Ott

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:42 pm

HonkyTonkRunner wrote:
Lots of yoga and short runs.
Knock wood. Have not had any back or knee pain in weeks.

Sounds like you have good news, too!
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:26 pm

33 minutes very slow run tonight.  Mid week I am always tired, so happy to get on what I got.     Hi HTR!
NH in April. Sounds like maple syrup season, yummy!
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Fri May 05, 2017 7:30 pm

Short runs and yoga. I've been pain free.

Nazaretti

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Sat May 06, 2017 6:15 am

I've also been doing short runs - 3 miles, 4 days a week.

My resting heart rate has dropped from mid-60s over the winter to mid-40s, which is where it has been in the past when I am in good condition. At my recent annual check-up with the cardiologist, he reminded me I have a mild, Grade 1, AV block - does not call for any treatment, and a common observation in athletes. I have been reading about older athletes requiring pacemakers more often that non-athletes, and wondering if that is in store for me someday.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Sat May 06, 2017 10:39 am

Nazaretti wrote:
I've also been doing short runs - 3 miles, 4 days a week.  

My resting heart rate has dropped from mid-60s over the winter to mid-40s, which is where it has been in the past when I am in good condition.  At my recent annual check-up with the cardiologist, he reminded me I have a mild, Grade 1, AV block - does not call for any treatment, and a common observation in athletes.  I have been reading about older athletes requiring pacemakers more often that non-athletes, and wondering if that is in store for me someday.

I had a cardio test done. The cardiologist (first opinion) told me I had a dilated right atrium. She explained the heart as muscle can get over worked by a person with vigorous exercise routine. Common with long term runners. I used her advice and stopped the long runs, running in extreme high temps and low temps.

A ways back I read an article in the NY Times regarding the Superman syndrome among runners. They don't visit doctors for physicals and believe they are the ultimate in health due to their ability to run marathons, intense training etc. or don't use their doctor's advice. Many runners have died from heart attacks during marathons. Average age is in the fifties. The youngest was 40 years old during the Chicago marathon and another runner died during the same marathon, which sparked the article. I can't remember the year of the CM.

For me, I threw in the hat to marathons and long runs.

Anotherrun

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   Fri May 12, 2017 7:50 pm

3.3 miles this morning. I am doing well running on my days off, but mid week is just torture. I've been averaging 15 miles a week over 4 days. Trying to up it to 18-20 this month. For no apparent reason, I feel I should run more. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daily Workout Thread   

Back to top Go down

Daily Workout Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11