Mostly Not Running Related

MNRR is for runners, cyclists or whatever your sport. Pull up a chair, New members welcome!
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Famous people you have met

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 52
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Famous people you have met   Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:37 pm

They could be anyone of note that we may have heard of.

I met a bunch of SF 49ers years ago when I worked retail. Most notably Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Bill Walsh. All were very cool. Joe bought an exercise bike and Jerry and his wife bought mountain bikes. SHE made all the decisions. Very Happy

I've also met Eric Heiden through local bike races. (He was very fast to the line)

Never met a movie or TV star.

Who have you met?


_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
BurlGirl

avatar

Posts : 14
Karma : 14
Join date : 2016-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:58 pm

George Hincapie
Tyler Hamilton
Levi Leipheimer
Odessa Gunn (Levi's wife)
Fast Freddie Rodriguez
Bernard Eisel
Ted King
Can you tell that I'm a cyclist fan?
Patrick Dempsey
Dean Karnazes
Joan Benoit Samuelson
Lynn Jennings
John Kessell (olymipc Beach Volleyball coach)
Hugh McCutcheon (volleyball coach of Olympic Mens and Womens Silver medal teams)

I think that's it...
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 644
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Eastern PA

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Y.A. Tittle signed my cast after I broke my wrist. This was when he was the Giants' QB.
I was introduced to "Sanford" at a party about 15 years ago, later found out it was Sandy Koufax.
Back to top Go down
Capt Awesome

avatar

Posts : 55
Karma : 57
Join date : 2016-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Clarence Clemons of the E-Street Band... at a charity event about a year before he passed away
Paul Shaffer, David Letterman's old band leader... had a drink with him at the bar of Gallagher's Steak House
Too many baseball players to name... basically all of the Yankees and many other players throughout the 80s and 90s.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 790
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 20
Location : New Yawk

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:10 pm

Billy Joel (I have a pic of him and me in front of Montauk Lighthouse when I was 27 years old)
I was talking to this guy on a very cool Harley Davidson with his helmet on. He had an old leather jacket on and a pair of jeans. He was by himself on his bike and I was in my friend's car. We were at a dead stop waiting to get to the top of the LH parking lot. I know a bit about motorcycles from growing up with them. The guy was nodding his head and listening to me. I complimented him on his bike and he said thanks.

We got to the parking lot of the lighthouse and he parked next to us.

I got out of the car and continued to blabber to him when he suddenly took off his helmet and it was Billy Joel. I got star struck and started walking away. He said-hey come back. But when he took his helmet off the other bikers started flocking to him. (I got the impression he wanted to just ride his bike without giving autographs. My friend pushed me and asked Billy for a photo of him and I. After that I walked away. Very down to earth guy.

Micky Rourke in South Beach over 20 years ago. He was at a table with what looked like to me, a lot of drug using hookers and guy friends. He waved for us to come over-my friends and I declined the invite.

In 1997 who ever was the coach of the Jets. I forgot his name but got his autograph for my DH when we were dating. He was eating in the same restaurant as us.

Laurence Fishburne. In a popular family style restaurant near Central Park West, where a lot of celebs go(residents of the area).

In NYC it's not cool to ask for autographs from celebs. But my daughter was dyeing to meet him. I politely walked over to his table and told him my daughter, at 12 years old-(2 years ago), wanted to say hi. He was really nice about it. Before doing so, I told her not to ask for his autograph.

The 2 celebs I've seen at a club and restaurant, but didn't officially meet were Madonna and ...Donald Trump.


Back to top Go down
http://nrrishere.forumotion.com
Spunkybubbles5

avatar

Posts : 337
Karma : 447
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 47
Location : Las Cruces, NM

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:21 pm

I met Lisa Whelchel (Blair from Facts of Life)
The mom from Duck Dynasty
The You Tubers Rhett and Link
The Viner Josh Darnett
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 52
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:40 pm

BurlGirl wrote:

Joan Benoit Samuelson


If I could have lunch with any runner from any time this would be it. Mad respect for Joan.


_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 790
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 20
Location : New Yawk

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:15 pm

^Greata Waitz
Back to top Go down
http://nrrishere.forumotion.com
Nazaretti

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 644
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Eastern PA

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:12 am

It is interesting who each of us considers "famous".
Do mass media have to exist for someone to be "famous"?
Who would an ancient Greek consider famous? Or a Native American circa 1300?
Back to top Go down
Capt Awesome

avatar

Posts : 55
Karma : 57
Join date : 2016-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:55 am

Ancient Greek would probably consider war heroes or members of the royalty famous. Perhaps even well known philosophers such as Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, etc.

Native Americans, I'd imagine Chiefs or shamans.interestimg that back in the days of other cultures and time periods the famous people were heroes in some way shape or form. Nowadays we have politicians who do nothing and Kardashians... Who do nothing.
Back to top Go down
gusgordon

avatar

Posts : 6
Karma : 6
Join date : 2016-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:15 am

Cyclists: George Hincapie, Christian Vandevelde, Sven Nys, Katie F'n Compton, MTA: Amanda Nauman (who I suspect will soon be famous)
Other athletes: Desiree (Davila) Linden, Dhani Jones, David Payne (2008 Oly. silver medalist, 110m hurdles; he was a student of mine)
TV/etc.: Jerry Springer, Michael Chiarello (chef)

I've met several not-quite-yet-totally-famous musicians. I also know a fairly large number of famous scientists/academics, but none who are well known to the general public, probably...maybe Stuart Kauffman.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 52
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:17 am

gusgordon wrote:
Cyclists: George Hincapie, Christian Vandevelde, Sven Nys, Katie F'n Compton
Other athletes: Desiree (Davila) Linden, Dhani Jones, David Payne (2008 Oly. silver medalist, 110m hurdles; he was a student of mine)
TV/etc.: Jerry Springer, Michael Chiarello (chef)

I've met several not-quite-yet-totally-famous musicians. I also know a fairly large number of famous scientists/academics, but none who are well known to the general public, probably...maybe Stuart Kauffman.  


I remember that Springer episode.

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
gusgordon

avatar

Posts : 6
Karma : 6
Join date : 2016-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:49 am

BIS wrote:


I remember that Springer episode.

LOL. I was going to say "I was NOT the father"...but that was from Maury.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 52
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:56 am

gusgordon wrote:
BIS wrote:


I remember that Springer episode.

LOL.  I was going to say "I was NOT the father"...but that was from Maury.

The results are back and little baby Colnago is definitely yours...

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 790
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 20
Location : New Yawk

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:50 pm

Nazaretti wrote:
It is interesting who each of us considers "famous".
Do mass media have to exist for someone to be "famous"?
Who would an ancient Greek consider famous?  Or a Native American circa 1300?

Did you meet anyone on the above list Naz? Wink
Back to top Go down
http://nrrishere.forumotion.com
Nazaretti

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 644
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Eastern PA

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:27 pm

HonkyTonkRunner wrote:
Nazaretti wrote:
It is interesting who each of us considers "famous".
Do mass media have to exist for someone to be "famous"?
Who would an ancient Greek consider famous?  Or a Native American circa 1300?

Did you meet anyone on the above list Naz? Wink

Only in my dreams, HTR!
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 790
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 20
Location : New Yawk

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:53 pm

Nazaretti wrote:
HonkyTonkRunner wrote:
Nazaretti wrote:
It is interesting who each of us considers "famous".
Do mass media have to exist for someone to be "famous"?
Who would an ancient Greek consider famous?  Or a Native American circa 1300?

Did you meet anyone on the above list Naz? Wink

Only in my dreams, HTR!

+ 1 !
Back to top Go down
http://nrrishere.forumotion.com
Banana!!

avatar

Posts : 166
Karma : 178
Join date : 2016-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:05 pm

Pop singer Jewel and her, then, hubby Ty Murray.
Back to top Go down
Curiosity



Posts : 24
Karma : 24
Join date : 2016-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:53 pm

I used to travel a lot for business and had a streak of almost 5 years where I saw someone "famous" on each trip. Granted, back then I was much more observant and could recognize a lot more people. Many of them I "met" as in I said "Yo" and they replied "Hey".

I was in an airport line behind John Denver - he didn't have his wallet with him and was being asked for his ID.
I was on a flight with Kathrine Graham. She, and her party, sat in coach.
I've sat next to Jim Brown, Dick Vitale, Bob Villa, Art Shell, Mariette Hartley, Brian Boitano, Bud Cherry, Wayne LaPierre, Leon Panetta, Gary Kildall and others and been flights with lots of others - Bill Murray, Matt Millan, Dan Marino, etc.

Lot's of gov't people, both national and state level.

I've met all of the US riders of le Tour before US Postal, and all of the US track cyclists from the 70's and 80's.

Met a bunch of runners and field athletes going to Hayward Field for various events. Galen was always very nice and would stop and say Hi. Jenny was sweet, Bridget Franek was cool. Steve Scott a number of times at different events.

I've met a lot of nerds including Steve Jobs, Guy Steele, Danny Hillis, Steve Wallach, Dick Sites, Gary Kildall, and too many more to list. Of course, very few of them are famous outside of nerdom, but a few are "infamous". Have yet to meet Bill Gates.

I almost ran over Clint Eastwood once. Have seen him a number of times.

Volunteered at a theater years ago and got to meet most of the talent that came in to do concerts. Elvis Costello, Renaissance, Sally Rand, Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola are ones that I particularly remember.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 52
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:06 pm

Curiosity wrote:
I used to travel a lot for business and had a streak of almost 5 years where I saw someone "famous" on each trip.  Granted, back then I was much more observant and could recognize a lot more people.  Many of them I "met" as in I said "Yo" and they replied "Hey".

I was in an airport line behind John Denver  - he didn't have his wallet with him and was being asked for his ID.
I was on a flight with Kathrine Graham.  She, and her party, sat in coach.
I've sat next to Jim Brown, Dick Vitale, Bob Villa, Art Shell, Mariette Hartley, Brian Boitano, Bud Cherry, Wayne LaPierre, Leon Panetta, Gary Kildall and others and been flights with lots of others - Bill Murray, Matt Millan, Dan Marino, etc.  

Lot's of gov't people, both national and state level.

I've met all of the US riders of le Tour before US Postal, and all of the US track cyclists from the 70's and 80's.

Met a bunch of runners and field athletes going to Hayward Field for various events.  Galen was always very nice and would stop and say Hi. Jenny was sweet, Bridget Franek was cool. Steve Scott a number of times at different events.

I've met a lot of nerds including Steve Jobs, Guy Steele, Danny Hillis, Steve Wallach, Dick Sites,  Gary Kildall, and too many more to list.  Of course, very few of them are famous outside of nerdom, but a few are "infamous".  Have yet to meet Bill Gates.

I almost ran over Clint Eastwood once.  Have seen him a number of times.

Volunteered at a theater years ago and got to meet most of the talent that came in to do concerts.  Elvis Costello, Renaissance, Sally Rand, Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola  are ones that I particularly remember.

Now I'm the curious one. What the heck did you do?

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Curiosity



Posts : 24
Karma : 24
Join date : 2016-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Just regular old work. I used to fly enough that I almost always got upgraded to first class. Those days are long gone. Flying into Dulles it was pretty common to see someone you would recognize - usually gov't or business rather than athlete though.

I used to be convinced that if you just kept your eyes opened you'd see "famous" people everywhere. However, the past decade or so, either I've lost touch with who is now famous, or stopped travelling in the same circles as the beautiful people.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 52
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:19 pm

That's cool. I get the feeling that you are a lot more observant than myself. Very Happy

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:29 pm

many years ago, At a local summer equity theatre, Tom Wopat, Robert Newman, Kim Zimmer.
In high school, when she was Lisa Larsen, Lisa Larsen Weidenbach Rainsberger
Joe Montana while still at Notre Dame University.
A few Detroit Tigers players.
Carl Levin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Famous people you have met   

Back to top Go down
 
Famous people you have met
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Famous people who have boxed as professionals
» Cryptic Clues for Famous People
» Kildare's greatest Sportsman or Person
» Famous Gold Nuggets of the World
» Fuel pump please people - UK.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mostly Not Running Related :: NRR Refugees :: General Discussion-
Jump to: