Mostly Not Running Related
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mostly Not Running Related

MNRR is for runners, cyclists or whatever your sport. Pull up a chair, New members welcome!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Personal Set back

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Personal Set back Empty
PostSubject: Personal Set back   Personal Set back EmptyFri May 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Hello All,

Sorry I have not been around.

My sister-in-law lost her battle with BC. She chose to live her last days at home. We were visiting her regularly. Then, of course all all else that went after her passing.

She chose a holistic approach rather than chemo. The cancer spread and she went to CA from NY for 5 weeks against Sloan Kettering's advise. In CA was a cancer center that promised to freeze the cancer cells. For $150,000. When she arrived she was lacking iron and protein and they gave her blood transfusions and eggs, chicken and vegetables. . It didn't work. She had one operation. The husband (it's my husband's sister), said she was worst after the surgery and did not know what went on in the operating room (freezing the cells attempt).
After 5 weeks of accomplishing nothing, her husband brought her back to NY.

By the time she gave into chemo. it was too late. If she received it, or didn't she would pass. Her immune system was too weak.

Chemo. is a poison, but many doctors are against a holistic approach.

I mentioned this to one of my doctors. He told me Steve Jobs started with a holistic approach and gave into chemo., but like my sister in law, it was too late.

Another doctor thinks the holistic approach to cancer is a scam. Yet, they continue to exist.

I'm not against a good diet nutritious , without white refined sugar. But, the diet she was on consisted of 1 scoop of whey protein and vegetable roots and vitamin supplements. When she first started the diet, surprisingly the levels went down. IMO, it gave her false hope. As it spread, she remained on the extremely strict diet. The nutritionist was very expensive and also recommended her to the holistic cancer center.

What's your take on a holistic approach and chemo?

Back to top Go down
https://nrrishere.forumotion.com
Nazaretti

Nazaretti

Personal Set back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Personal Set back   Personal Set back EmptySat May 06, 2017 6:10 am

Sorry to hear about your SIL, HTR.

My take - the holistic approach will not "cure" cancer or help you live longer with it, but it could help you feel better about your fate as you sicken and die. And that's no small thing.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Personal Set back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Personal Set back   Personal Set back EmptySat May 06, 2017 10:29 am

When she first had the cancer, which only spread to her shoulder, Sloan Kettering wanted to immediately give her chemo. I personally would of received the chemo. It gradually spread to other areas but her immune system was strong and she declined the chemo. I'm going to stop the should of, would of thinking. Does not matter now.
Back to top Go down
https://nrrishere.forumotion.com
Poppy Ott

Poppy Ott

Personal Set back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Personal Set back   Personal Set back EmptySat May 06, 2017 11:30 am

That's so sad, HTR. I'm sorry for your husband's and your loss.

Cancer seems to be so prevalent. We have had several friends and family members taken that way, and a number went the natural remedy route. Not a one of them did well. Different forms of cancer among them, but the common theme was they all decided late to switch from holistic to chemo or radiation (whichever had been first recommended) and every time is was too late. There is a lady in our church now who has been fighting lymphoma via the holistic approach going on three years and she is not doing well at all. The only reason she has lasted this long is because she gave in and followed her doctor's advice and had some chemo - note the 'some' - about a year ago. We all thought she was near the end then but she started feeling and looking better. Convinced she'd been 'cured' she stopped the chemo and went back to her natural remedies. Now she is failing rapidly and has returned to chemo, but I doubt it's going to make any difference this time.

On the other side of equation are those we know who went with chemo from the start. Off hand I can't think of any who did not go at least another ten years. But you are quite right, chemo is poison and it sure did a number in them while they were receiving it. And yet they were (still are is several instances) still with us.

Not having had to face the decision myself I don't know for sure what I'd choose, but I guess I lean toward the chemo.

Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

Anotherrun

Personal Set back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Personal Set back   Personal Set back EmptyFri May 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi HTR. My condolences to your family, as well. I have not read much on the holistic approach to cancer. So I feel uneducated to give a comparison to treatments. I am a fan of holistic pain relief practice within a palliative care setting. After working in healthcare for many years, I am afraid I have some callous opinions on holistic health and how easily the practice appears to drain excessive amounts of $ and time from their clients. Prayers and kind thoughts from me to you for peaceful mourning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Personal Set back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Personal Set back   Personal Set back Empty

Back to top Go down

Personal Set back
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mostly Not Running Related :: NRR Refugees :: General Discussion-
Jump to: