Mostly Not Running Related

MNRR is for runners, cyclists or whatever your sport. Pull up a chair, New members welcome!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Burning the flag

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HonkyTonkRunner

PostSubject: Burning the flag   Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:24 pm

Trump wants one year in jail, and/or loss of citizenship.

The loss of citizenship is a bit extreme. Some feel it's their right of the first amendment.

I think it's horrible to burn the flag (of any country), and I feel repercussions should be in place.
The people who burn the flag are usually the ones who do not conduct peaceful demonstrations, and it may control the demonstrations to not lead into violence.

Your thoughts?

BIS

PostSubject: Re: Burning the flag   Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:19 pm

The reason some feel it's their right is that it is their right.

Texas vs. Johnson made that clear legally.

When it comes to matters of freedom of expression and speech I prefer that we are lenient with allowing it. I think our right to dissent, protest and challenge authority is a quickly deteriorating privilege we enjoy less and less. If we ban flag burning what's follows? In some countries simply speaking out against authority can be reason for jailing. The flag is a piece of cloth. What makes it great is what it stands for. Freedom. The hypocrisy of persecuting people burning a piece of cloth and calling ourselves free people should not be lost on us.

It is hard to watch but I will take watching our flag being burnt any day over living in a country where dissent is silenced by force. Think North Korea, China.

Trump is such a hypocrite. He defended the right to burn flags back in 2015. Can't this guy stick to ANY position? We should be horrified by suggestions like this. The problem with stripping peoples rights is where does it stop?

http://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/s-e-cupp-what-trumps-flag-burning-tweet-reveals/

PostSubject: Re: Burning the flag   Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Yes, burning the flag is a protected right of free speech. When is someone going to school our President Elect on the fact that the USA has a constitution? And maybe let him know it means something? Sigh. I just wrote my Local representative an email this very morning voicing my opinion about our great country treading on human rights and asking the knucklehead to stand up for all and back humanistic treatment of protesters. The issue that I took to heart is regarding the treatment of the protesters at standing rock, but these are all issues of freedom impingement. Deep breath. Sipping my wine.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

PostSubject: Re: Burning the flag   Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Burning the flag is Constitutionally protected free speech. Trump continues to be a buffoon.
Back to top Go down
BIS

PostSubject: Re: Burning the flag   Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:28 pm

Anotherrun wrote:
Yes, burning the flag is a protected right of free speech.  When is someone going to school our President Elect on the fact that the USA has a constitution?  And maybe let him know it means something?   Sigh.  I just wrote my Local representative an email this very morning voicing my opinion about our great country treading on human rights and asking the knucklehead to stand up for all and back humanistic treatment of protesters.  The issue that I took to heart is regarding the treatment of the protesters at standing rock, but these are all issues of freedom impingement.    Deep breath.  Sipping my wine.  

It's going to be getting darn cold there in the near future. Tents and vans won't be enough to keep some people from become ill and freeze injured.

PostSubject: Re: Burning the flag   Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:51 pm

Seeing someone do that on tv is very disturbing to me, but I get the free speech right also. Since they won't be going to jail, I would rather some social media shaming.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

PostSubject: Re: Burning the flag   Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:53 pm

RSX wrote:
Seeing someone do that on tv is very disturbing to me, but I get the free speech right also. Since they won't be going to jail, I would rather some social media shaming.

True, rather than glorifying it.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Burning the flag   

Back to top Go down

Burning the flag
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1