Mostly Not Running Related

MNRR is for runners, cyclists or whatever your sport. Pull up a chair, New members welcome!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Voting and the electoral college

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BIS

PostSubject: Voting and the electoral college   Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:37 am

Since we are in an election cycle here is a non-partisan question.

Does the electoral college have an affect on your voting? I am in CA which will vote Dem in a landslide. There are many states that are traditionally red or blue and voting seems somewhat pointless for many.

Would people be more likely to vote if their individual vote counted on a national level? Should the electoral college be a thing of the past?

Thoughts?

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:55 am

Great post! I was wondering the same.
In NY, I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

I believe it should be a thing of the past. it would motivate people to vote.

I forgot the name of the author that was interviewed. He spoke of this in great detail.
From memory, the name of his book is "Why Ohio Selects (or picks) the President".

HonkyTonkRunner

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Bump. I want others input.

Nazaretti

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:25 am

Here is a good description of the Electoral College: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)

Maine and Nebraska do NOT have winner-take-all systems, so a resident there probably is less likely to feel her vote is in vain.

There is a long history of balancing the powers of states and the Federal government - 2 Senators per state regardless of population, etc.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:44 pm

I try to always vote. In fact, I have already delivered my absentee ballot to the township clerk. I do wonder if it will get where it needs to go...

i am from Michigan,a winner takes all State. We are usually pretty close in all races between the two parties.

One year, I forget who was running. I didn't like either. I voted for the oldest hoping we would have less years to pay them benefits, etc.
Back to top Go down
BIS

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:57 pm

Nazaretti wrote:
Here is a good description of the Electoral College:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)

Maine and Nebraska do NOT have winner-take-all systems, so a resident there probably is less likely to feel her vote is in vain.

There is a long history of balancing the powers of states and the Federal government - 2 Senators per state regardless of population, etc.

Yea, I understand the concept, I just can't help to wonder if voter turnout would be higher in close elections if presidents were elected entirely on the popular vote of the entire country.

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:45 am

I guess the assumption is that you are more likely to vote if you feel your vote might make a difference in the final outcome.

Proportional award of electors might help with this - even if you do not vote with the majority in your state, some of the electors will be carrying your standard.

If the election were decided strictly by the popular vote on the national level, your vote might seem more important because the national polls are often closer than the polls in a given state.
Back to top Go down
RSX

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:57 am

I have voted in every single election for at least 25 years so am there no matter what. In MA we are probably the bluest state so outside of the Dem primary occasionally it's disappointing to have no impact. I wish MA wasn't all or nothing. I will write-in Sanders but we have some questions to vote on in addition to MA races that aren't considered close.

My wife is a teacher, and there is a question on whether charter schools get more funding which takes away from public ones. The charter school group has a lot of commercials so will probably win. Surprising to me the teacher's union, town school committees etc. have not had many commercials.
Back to top Go down
Banana!!

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:56 am

Because of the electoral college, I don't feel like my vote matters.
Back to top Go down
birdwell

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:34 pm

I don't think my vote matters, but it has nothing to do with the electoral college.

It's more about the highest levels of both political parties wanting nothing more than control over the lives of the people they claim to represent.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:13 pm

I always vote.  My parents did, too, so I guess I got the habit from them.  My mother was a poll worker for many years.

My polling place is in a church a couple miles down the road.  There are people I know and chat with, baked goods for sale, friendly poll workers.  There are local offices and issues to vote on, as well as the Presidential race.

A day or two after the election, our County website posts results down to the precinct level - our precinct will probably log 800 or so voters this year, and our township has 4 precincts.  I like to check out the totals for my precinct, township, and county - a good gauge on who my neighbors are these days.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:22 am

Um yeah, about the neighbors. We just had a THIRD house in our little subdivision put up a TRUMP sign. Who ARE these people? We have 20 houses here, probably about average, actually.

One thing I saw recently. Ok it was on Facebook. (Yea, I recently joined Facebook. Family issue, long story.). It was something along the lines of Hillary/and thus Dems being pro late term abortions. No I honestly don't believe there is a person in this country who's pro LATE term "abortions". And, When did the tide turn in politics to where the candidate all candidates, points out others faults rather than talking about what they want to change/do? Change starts with one. Off my soap box. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Lots of Trump signs around here but almost no Clinton signs. I put up 3 Clinton signs along my road frontage on Wednesday, they were all stolen by today. I don't recall that kind of thing happening in past elections.
Back to top Go down
RSX

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Anotherrun wrote:
Um yeah, about the neighbors.  We just had a THIRD house in our little subdivision put up a TRUMP sign.  Who ARE these people?   We have 20 houses here, probably about average, actually.

One thing I saw recently. Ok it was on Facebook.  (Yea, I recently joined Facebook.  Family issue, long story.). It was something along the lines of Hillary/and thus Dems being pro late term abortions.  No   I honestly don't believe there is a person in this country who's pro LATE term "abortions".  And,  When did the tide turn in politics to where the candidate all candidates, points out others faults rather than talking about what they want to change/do?    Change starts with one.   Off my soap box.  Thanks.

Yeah the way Trump described late term abortions was disgusting just to prove a point.
Back to top Go down
RSX

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:46 pm

As for elections, I mentioned I have my 25+ year streak going of every single contest. At a previous town I was treasurer on a committee to get a new school. That was a blast and I learned a lot but it took 2 elections though. I also got involved with making signs, contacting friends who live on key streets, and putting them up.

Back then I thought my town had more impact on me because it did. First election the school lost by 28 votes because so many people thought it would be a slam dunk. Second time it won by over 1,000 as our committee got much bigger so more help.
Back to top Go down
Banana!!

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:28 pm

My state is extremely red, and yet you hardly see Trump signs. The ones you do are small, garage sale sized ones. He's a horrible man. I'm pretty sure he trolled running forums using the name kittenkat.
Back to top Go down
BIS

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:10 am

Banana!! wrote:
My state is extremely red, and yet you hardly see Trump signs. The ones you do are small, garage sale sized ones. He's a horrible man. I'm pretty sure he trolled running forums using the name kittenkat.

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:45 pm

I knew it!!
Back to top Go down
BIS

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Banana!! wrote:

There are some very similar personality traits. What a Face

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:07 pm

Well, it looks like the popular vote will be over-ridden by the Electoral College in this election. Ironically Trump blasted the electoral college just before he won by virtue of it.

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:34 pm

[quote="Banana!!"]My state is extremely red, and yet you hardly see Trump signs. The ones you do are small, garage sale sized ones. He's a horrible man. I'm pretty sure he trolled running forums using the name kittenkat.[/quote

Literally lmao

HonkyTonkRunner

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Anotherrun wrote:
Um yeah, about the neighbors.  We just had a THIRD house in our little subdivision put up a TRUMP sign.  Who ARE these people?   We have 20 houses here, probably about average, actually.

One thing I saw recently. Ok it was on Facebook.  (Yea, I recently joined Facebook.  Family issue, long story.). It was something along the lines of Hillary/and thus Dems being pro late term abortions.  No   I honestly don't believe there is a person in this country who's pro LATE term "abortions".  And,  When did the tide turn in politics to where the candidate all candidates, points out others faults rather than talking about what they want to change/do?    Change starts with one.   Off my soap box.  Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, the government funds Planned Parenthood, who in turn uses the babies for experiments, stem cells etc. Rather than convincing the mother to put the baby up for adoption -pushes the abortion.

I'm pro-choice, but not for late term.

HonkyTonkRunner

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:42 pm

BIS wrote:
Well, it looks like the popular vote will be over-ridden by the Electoral College in this election. Ironically Trump blasted the electoral college just before he won by virtue of it.

Enough said.

RSX

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:52 am

Planned Parenthood isn't 100% abortions and I haven't heard they try to persuade women either way. I'm pro-choice also, but think too much was made of late term abortions to scare voters.
Back to top Go down
BIS

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:15 pm

RSX wrote:
Planned Parenthood isn't 100% abortions and I haven't heard they try to persuade women either way. I'm pro-choice also, but think too much was made of late term abortions to scare voters.  

About 3%.

Here is a funny take by Stephen Colbert. Start vid at 2:00

Colbert

PostSubject: Re: Voting and the electoral college   

Back to top Go down

Voting and the electoral college
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next