Mostly Not Running Related

MNRR is for runners, cyclists or whatever your sport. Pull up a chair, New members welcome!
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Weekend plans 7/29

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Weekend plans 7/29   Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:09 pm

What are you all up to this weekend? I have more plans than time it seems.

I have tomorrow off. I plan to start with a run. The boxwoods in front of the porch need trimming. Some beets to pickle and can. I just bought the backing for GS #2's big boy quilt, so need to put that together. Maybe a round of golf with family. Also need to go see my Dad and help him on his garden, AND get in a long run sat or sun...... Oh, and watch some PGA golf on the tv.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 52
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:12 am

It's supposed to be 108 at our house this weekend so we are staying in the Bay Area. Thinking about this for tomorrow night.

<---click me

Probably do a hike Saturday and head home Sunday afternoon to pack for a short trip we have planned.

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:38 am

Have fun BIS! Stay cool. It is 69 this morning, but rain storms in the area. Waiting one out right now. I have no vacations/travels planned until November.
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 934
Karma : 991
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:02 am

Son #2 and family are coming for the weekend, so will be fun!  (I'm also doing GD's braces, so they will be coming this way every few weeks.  Pretty sneaky way of getting to see them once a month, right?   )
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:15 pm

That's very sneaky. Your lucky son. I would have traveled to get my daughters braces done by a g-pa!
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 934
Karma : 991
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:48 pm

This weekend — Iowa State Fair (corn dogs, Rice Krispies, ginormous dill pickles, and other thing-on-stick), big family reunion. Oh, and some running on the marvelous network of running paths in and around Des Moines.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Friday, DH and I helped my daughter and her family. We bought some second hand bar chairs, painted them and recovered them. Delivered a dresser, painted the nursery, painted two walls in GS's room. It was exhausting, in a really good accomplished way. She moved into her first house at the beginning of the month. Pretty nice, but it's nearly 2 HR drive. Today I ran 5 on the steamy road, canned pickled beets, and a batch of salsa. Now I am reclining and deciding where to eat dinner. Cooked half the day, and nothing to eat. Silly. Tomorrow I hope my legs can handle a longer run. Mon I am going back to work to rest!
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:28 am

Hi my two posting buddies. It's like a challenge, keep it going... Anyway, the stars aligned, and I have a 4 day weekend! Not much planned. We are waiting till last minute for anything that takes a ticket, don't want to get rained out. (Tigers game or NASCAR). Couple of years back we took it in the wallet when a NASCAR race got rained out. They ended up racing on the following Wednesday. We had company here from out of state, had bought 6 tickets. Still a bit sour over that one... Anywho, today I am being couch lazy. Heading out in 10ish minutes for a run. I have some transplanting in my rose garden to do today. Errands, shopping, cooking. Tomorrow, hopefully something outdoors, but we have storms headed here again. Sunday would love to go do something, weather will dictate. And Monday we have dear GS#1 again. I took a scheduled sick day on Monday.
Hope to run some each day. This week was a pitiful week for me with the running. Take care.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 644
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Eastern PA

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:17 pm

How old is GS#1?

I'd love some rain here, we are back in a hot and humid spell but no rain in sight.

My lawn mowing is restricted to after dinner, when the sun is low - my skin decided to stop making pigment a couple of years ago, so I'm very sensitive to sunlight. With the shorter days, I have only an hour or less available so am mowing almost every evening to get the whole yard done in a reasonable number of sections.

6 miles on the rail-trail this morning, cowering in the air conditioning now.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:46 pm

4.7 miles this morning. It was so nice out, quiet, shade from some trees. The newly paved section of road is such a treat to run on. Heading to the park tomorrow for my long run.
GS1 just turned 3. GS2 will be 3 on 11/18. They are both cute as buttons. We live closer to #1.

It was all sun today. Gorgeous, if a tad hot. Did some gardening, transplanted the unruly climbing rose to a new, less intrusive spot. We were in a draught much of the summer, but have had rain enough to turn the grass green. It looks great.
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 934
Karma : 991
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:01 pm

I started the day with a 5.6 mile run.  Actually several half-mile semi-sprints interspersed with very slow running.  I'm calling it intervals with slow recoveries.  It was nasty hot/humid/thick.

After that I took my brother with me to the morning coffee group.  His evaluation on arriving back home;  "They are all bonkers in that  group," which is actually high praise from my brother. Cool

In between coffee and home, brother and I fiddled with the extension ladder and the SiriusXM antenna on the roof at work, and I think we have solved its reception problem.  I hope.  I do not like heights!

We (wife, brother, mom and myself) finished out the morning getting pedicures.  Brother opted out.  Just could not convince him that this is a wonderful thing.

Now we are waiting the arrival of son #2 and family.  GD #3 is nine months old today. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 644
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Eastern PA

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Poppy Ott wrote:
I started the day with a 5.6 mile run.  Actually several half-mile semi-sprints interspersed with very slow running.  I'm calling it intervals with slow recoveries.  It was nasty hot/humid/thick.

After that I took my brother with me to the morning coffee group.  His evaluation on arriving back home;  "They are all bonkers in that  group," which is actually high praise from my brother. Cool

In between coffee and home, brother and I fiddled with the extension ladder and the SiriusXM antenna on the roof at work, and I think we have solved its reception problem.  I hope.  I do not like heights!

We (wife, brother, mom and myself) finished out the morning getting pedicures.  Brother opted out.  Just could not convince him that this is a wonderful thing.

Now we are waiting the arrival of son #2 and family.  GD #3 is nine months old today. Very Happy

Speed work? Do you do that to prep for a race, or just for the sheer fun of running fast now and then?
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 934
Karma : 991
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:25 am

Nazaretti wrote:
Poppy Ott wrote:
I started the day with a 5.6 mile run.  Actually several half-mile semi-sprints interspersed with very slow running.  I'm calling it intervals with slow recoveries.  It was nasty hot/humid/thick.

After that I took my brother with me to the morning coffee group.  His evaluation on arriving back home;  "They are all bonkers in that  group," which is actually high praise from my brother. Cool

In between coffee and home, brother and I fiddled with the extension ladder and the SiriusXM antenna on the roof at work, and I think we have solved its reception problem.  I hope.  I do not like heights!

We (wife, brother, mom and myself) finished out the morning getting pedicures.  Brother opted out.  Just could not convince him that this is a wonderful thing.

Now we are waiting the arrival of son #2 and family.  GD #3 is nine months old today. Very Happy

Speed work?  Do you do that to prep for a race, or just for the sheer fun of running fast now and then?

I'm supposed to be prepping for a HM in October. I havent done much speed work since it got hot and I figured I better get on it. When it's cooler running fast is fun; in the heat not so much.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 644
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Eastern PA

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:00 am

I used to do an interval session every week, but got out of the habit. It didn't seem to be helping my race times or cardiovascular condition (by the crude measure of resting heart rate). I do sometimes hammer the last half mile of my usual 6 mile run, which is fun. I'm working toward a 10K in mid-October, then the annual Pumpkin Pie 5K on Thanksgiving Day.
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 934
Karma : 991
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:46 am

To say I don't enjoy speed work would be understating it. I have also come to the conclusion that the benefits toward lowering my race times are minimal.

My half is the 4 Bridges HM in Chattanooga 16 October. Might run the 8k Turkey Trot there Thanksgiving as well.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:02 pm

I don't do any consistent speed work. Little here and there. But I am slow, even when doing speed work. No long run this weekend. 4.15 yesterday, 5.2 today. I tried to stay in the shade this morning. It was pretty miserable. I'd like to say I will run another 5 later, but I doubt it. I'm pretty relaxed right now. I'm Not signed up for any races. I transferred my September HM spot to someone. So I am left to my indecision. Still basically following my training plan. Minus this weeks LR of course.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 644
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Eastern PA

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:26 pm

Anotherrun wrote:
I don't do any consistent speed work.  Little here and there.  But I am slow, even when doing speed work.  No long run this weekend.  4.15 yesterday, 5.2 today.  I tried to stay in the shade this morning.  It was pretty miserable.  I'd like to say I will run another 5 later, but I doubt it.  I'm pretty relaxed right now.   I'm Not signed up for any races.  I transferred my September HM spot to someone.  So I am left to my indecision.  Still basically following my training plan.  Minus this weeks LR of course.

Running for its own sake? Works for me!
I always thought the main point of speed work was to get your heart rate up. Almost all of my runs do that, especially in this miserable weather.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Yeah. I feel pretty healthy these days. The recovery from a 4 or 5 mile run is basically a drink and a shower. Whereas, I will often suffer through being tired all day after a 2 HR long run. I really think fall weather will help my mood, immensely.
I can't get onto RW site, again. WTH is going on over there? Not sure why I get signed off. I sure don't sign off intentionally. Oh well.
Been reading a book this week, Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini. Pretty good read. I don't usually pick historical novels, but I am enjoying it.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 644
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Eastern PA

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:17 pm

I guess RWOL is having problems with their log in function. I managed to work around it. It really does seem that Rodale is content to let the Forums die. The whole site is neglected - most of the stuff on it these days is dredged up from the past. Corporate cutbacks, I suppose.

I recently read "The Rainmaker", an old John Grisham book. Good read.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 644
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Eastern PA

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:29 pm

Anotherrun wrote:
Yeah.  I feel pretty healthy these days.  The recovery from a 4 or 5 mile run is basically a drink and a shower.  Whereas, I will often suffer through being tired all day after a 2 HR long run.  I really think fall weather will help my mood, immensely.
I can't get onto RW site, again.  WTH is going on over there?  Not sure why I get signed off.  I sure don't sign off intentionally.  Oh well.  
Been reading a book this week, Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini.  Pretty good read.  I don't usually pick historical novels, but I am enjoying it.  

Just read a story in my local paper about a 23-year-old man who died of heat stroke during a half-marathon this weekend. Come on, Fall, it is time!
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 934
Karma : 991
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:31 am

By far the main reason I run is I like to, not to prepare for racing.  Maybe it's just the heat, but I seem to have lost my enthusiasm for running races.  Neither me nor DW do well in hot weather, (So what were you thinking when you moved to Mississippi?) and this has been an especially hot summer.

I keep getting logged out of RWOL, too.  I thought it might be because I use multiple devices, so I tried using only one for RW.  No better.  Recently, I have been having trouble getting on here, too.  Could not get on at all after my last post above, until just now.  

I just finished reading The Litgators, by John Grisham.  Enjoyed it.  Now I'm re-reading Princess Bride.  How's that for a segue?
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 644
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Eastern PA

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:25 am

I'm getting less and less motivated by racing (I'm not going to get any faster at this point!) and more by just enjoying the run.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37191980
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:41 pm

Well another weekend kaput! Wow does the time ever fly by. Never made it to a game this weekend, just too iffy on the forcast. I had a good day playing hooky from work today. GS spent the night last night. We went to the zoo, had a good time with him. Weather is supposed to make the switch to more seasonal temps on Wed/Thu, 84 and hot humid today, turning to mid 70s by mid/late week. We have no plans for the upcoming holiday weekend.
Mississippi sounds lovely in winter, I can't imagine it now though.
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 934
Karma : 991
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:59 pm

Well, we are rattling around in an empty house. Son #2 and family left yesterday, and at 3:30 this morning we drove to the Memphis airport to get mom and my brother off for their homes. Everyone made it safely home.

GS #3 is a happy little boy, seems like he is always smiling. He wakes up happy! It is nice they will be coming here once a month for GD's braces because the little one is growing/changing so fast! This weekend he was pulling himself up using the coffee table and trying to walk while holding onto the table's edge. Last evening, shortly after they got home, GS took his first real, unaided, unsupported steps, and our son sent us video of the great event Phones now are a miracle.

The work week will be the usual, but evenings and weekend will be spent reworking a cherrywood grandfather clock case that I built when I was in grad school. It was made without benefit of proper tools, just my dad's small table saw, hand saw, drill and router. The result was solid, but short on aesthetics. I decided it was time to take the case out to my shop and use my cabinet-making equipment to give it a proper redesign/reworking.

Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 644
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Eastern PA

PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:31 am

My main creative outlet these days is mowing the lawn, which is growing very thick this year. That's creative, right?

High 60s and low humidity this morning, did 6 miles on the rail-trail. Hint of fall in the air!

Daughter, son-in-law and grandson are due here Friday for the holiday weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Weekend plans 7/29   

Back to top Go down
 
Weekend plans 7/29
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Went to Ophir on the weekend
» I learned some things this weekend...
» TECHNOPARK HOTEL WEEKEND PROMO
» My prototype plans for a Bipe 3d indoor plane
» **Plans** 74 - 76 Westfalia Camping Stool

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mostly Not Running Related :: NRR Refugees :: General Discussion-
Jump to: