Mostly Not Running Related

MNRR is for runners, cyclists or whatever your sport. Pull up a chair, New members welcome!
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 GPS watches

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: GPS watches   Fri May 27, 2016 10:21 pm

I used a garmin 405 for years and just replaced it with an AvidFit 201

So far so good although I must say the watch came with no real instructions on how to manage it using their apple app and integrate it to laptop. I have mostly figured it out. We did a hike today and the watch worked well even in very heavily wooded trails.

I chose it primarily because it wasn't too expensive and had good reviews. Time will tell if I should have spent more.

Do you use one and what kind? Does it help with your training?

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 927
Karma : 982
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Sat May 28, 2016 9:50 am

My first GPS watch was a Garmin Fortrex something.  It was a gift and was meant to be used primarily for hiking/backpacking, but I didn't know that and neither did the gift-giver.  It was okay, certainly more convenient than the stop watch I had been using, and I used it for several years.  It's biggest drawback, aside from not actually bring a running watch, was the batteries.  Not rechargeable and due to design of the wristband were hard to replace.

My next watch was a Garmin 320XT.  Very nice, no complaints.  Still have it and still use it occasionally.  

My current mainstay is a Garmin Fenix 3.  Both sons wanted Fitbits or something similar and we made presents of whatever they wanted (I don't remember) for birthday/Christmas.  I could see their reasoning, but for myself was not interested in wearing an additional item on my wrist.  That started me looking at dual-purpose watches.  It was also about the time the Apple Watch came out.  I'm an Apple guy, but that watch just doesn't make the cut for me.  I don't like the look, battery life is poor, and it's not waterproof.

What I was looking for was a waterproof running/biking/tracking watch that looks like a watch (that is, it does not attract attention to itself), and that does not have to be charged every day.  DC Rainmaker was the obvious place to start looking, and the Fenix 3 fit requirements nicely on all counts except one — price.  It costs a bundle.  Conveniently, not very long after I started searching, REI had their annual sale and I had accumulated a sizeable dividend; the combination of the two put the price of the Fenix within reach.  I've had it a little over a year now and it's my regular, daily watch.  

In answer to your question about training, yes.  Partly because of features it has in common with any GPS watch, and partly because it synchs with my iPhone and keeps 'score' without me having to do anything, and Garmin Connect then transfers the data to RA.  I tend not to be a very good record keeper.  

And just as an aside, it does pretty much everything the Apple Watch does, at least everything the AW does that I am interested in.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Sat May 28, 2016 12:30 pm

Had to look up Fenix 3. That looks really nice.

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Sat May 28, 2016 7:32 pm

I have and regularly use an old garmin forerunner210. I keep thinking I will upgrade. But it still works. Wink
Back to top Go down
Banana!!

avatar

Posts : 166
Karma : 178
Join date : 2016-04-13

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Mon May 30, 2016 9:25 am

I have a Edge 500 on my bike and a FR220 for running. Ran with the clunky but sturdy 305 for years. The 220 loads 5 days worth of satellite locations every time you sync it online, so whenever you turn it on it takes maybe 5 seconds to lock on to the satellites and you're ready to go. That feature alone is worth the price of admission. The new version, the FR225, has an optical HR sensor built into it. I can't justify upgrading yet though, so in the meantime I use the Scosche Rhythm+ optical HR sensor rather than a tradition chest strap.
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 927
Karma : 982
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Mon May 30, 2016 1:48 pm

Banana!! wrote:
I have a Edge 500 on my bike and a FR220 for running. Ran with the clunky but sturdy 305 for years. The 220 loads 5 days worth of satellite locations every time you sync it online, so whenever you turn it on it takes maybe 5 seconds to lock on to the satellites and you're ready to go. That feature alone is worth the price of admission. The new version, the FR225, has an optical HR sensor built into it. I can't justify upgrading yet though, so in the meantime I use the Scosche Rhythm+ optical HR sensor rather than a tradition chest strap.

I use the Scosche Rhythm+ as well. Do you have any problem with it losing contact when sweating heavily? I do.
Back to top Go down
Banana!!

avatar

Posts : 166
Karma : 178
Join date : 2016-04-13

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Tue May 31, 2016 11:43 am

Poppy Ott wrote:
Banana!! wrote:
I have a Edge 500 on my bike and a FR220 for running. Ran with the clunky but sturdy 305 for years. The 220 loads 5 days worth of satellite locations every time you sync it online, so whenever you turn it on it takes maybe 5 seconds to lock on to the satellites and you're ready to go. That feature alone is worth the price of admission. The new version, the FR225, has an optical HR sensor built into it. I can't justify upgrading yet though, so in the meantime I use the Scosche Rhythm+ optical HR sensor rather than a tradition chest strap.

I use the Scosche Rhythm+ as well.  Do you have any problem with it losing contact when sweating heavily?  I do.

I wear mine on my upper bicep, just under my sleeve. On my bike mine is kinda weird for the first mile or two. Not uncommon for it to register 200+ BPM, but then it will gradually drop drop drop to something more normal, smooth out and work just fine the rest of the ride. When I run it doesn't do that. It's accurate throughout the run. Optical sensors don't like ambient light leaking in, so it helps if you wear it a bit tight so that it seals the backside, where the lights and camera lens is, against the skin. I sweat a ton cuz I live in a hot and humid area, but sweat, as far as I can tell, doesn't screw up the readings for me. I love the thing. Haven't worn a chest strap since i got it. My only complaint is that it's another damn thing I have to remember to keep charged.
Back to top Go down
RSX

avatar

Posts : 129
Karma : 133
Join date : 2016-04-16

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Tue May 31, 2016 12:21 pm

I started off with a New Balance starter watch 4 years ago that was a gift. It took 5 minutes usually to find a satellite which was a pain so I usually put it outside before a run, or started it in the car if I was driving to meet people.

Last Black Friday I bought a 220, and it's great for me but I have been doing most of my runs on a treadmill this year. I just wanted an idiot proof basic watch as I download everything onto Excel.
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 927
Karma : 982
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Tue May 31, 2016 2:00 pm

Banana!! wrote:
Poppy Ott wrote:
Banana!! wrote:
I have a Edge 500 on my bike and a FR220 for running. Ran with the clunky but sturdy 305 for years. The 220 loads 5 days worth of satellite locations every time you sync it online, so whenever you turn it on it takes maybe 5 seconds to lock on to the satellites and you're ready to go. That feature alone is worth the price of admission. The new version, the FR225, has an optical HR sensor built into it. I can't justify upgrading yet though, so in the meantime I use the Scosche Rhythm+ optical HR sensor rather than a tradition chest strap.

I use the Scosche Rhythm+ as well.  Do you have any problem with it losing contact when sweating heavily?  I do.

I wear mine on my upper bicep, just under my sleeve. On my bike mine is kinda weird for the first mile or two. Not uncommon for it to register 200+ BPM, but then it will gradually drop drop drop to something more normal, smooth out and work just fine the rest of the ride. When I run it doesn't do that. It's accurate throughout the run. Optical sensors don't like ambient light leaking in, so it helps if you wear it a bit tight so that it seals the backside, where the lights and camera lens is, against the skin. I sweat a ton cuz I live in a hot and humid area, but sweat, as far as I can tell, doesn't screw up the readings for me. I love the thing. Haven't worn a chest strap since i got it. My only complaint is that it's another damn thing I have to remember to keep charged.

That is where I wear mine as well and for most of the year it is just fine, but in summer it freaks out and heavy sweating was only reason I could think of. It certainly is better than the chest strap! I have two of those (gifts, not returnable unfortunately) and never wear them. But yes, it is yet another thing to keep charged.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Tue May 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Well, I am sending back the AvidFit. The watch works fine but the integration to IPhone and computer doesn't work right. The company was good in that they were quick to respond and honest that their software was still needing development, but I am not paying full price to help with their beta testing.

Just ordered this. Garmin

I like that it has separate apps for different sports that I enjoy.

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 790
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 20
Location : New Yawk

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Tue May 31, 2016 7:08 pm

I'm outdated. I'll eventually buy myself one and know what you guys are talking about.
I'm embarrassed to say I use a pedometer and a watch. And, yes it is accurate because I tested it in a marathon.

So, for a newbie to a Garmin on a tight budget..what do you suggest I start with? And where do I buy it?


_________________
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. - Gautama Buddha
Back to top Go down
http://nrrishere.forumotion.com
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Tue May 31, 2016 7:15 pm

This might be right up your alley.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Resistant-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B014FV98SY?ie=UTF8&keywords=garmin%20gps%20watch&qid=1464736470&ref_=sr_1_4&s=gps&sr=1-4

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 790
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 20
Location : New Yawk

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Tue May 31, 2016 7:23 pm

BIS wrote:
This might be right up your alley.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Resistant-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B014FV98SY?ie=UTF8&keywords=garmin%20gps%20watch&qid=1464736470&ref_=sr_1_4&s=gps&sr=1-4

Before I buy it (BTW thanks) I'm wondering if it comes with "how to set/use manual. I looked at the questions but they are not from noobs.

_________________
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. - Gautama Buddha
Back to top Go down
http://nrrishere.forumotion.com
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Tue May 31, 2016 7:31 pm

It should but here is the owners manual that you can look through to see if it looks like something you would be interested.

http://www.tramsoft.ch/downloads/garmin/manuals/garmin_forerunner210/forerunner210_owners-manual_en.pdf

The 210 in the link I send you is a refurbished unit and that's why it's so inexpensive $60 vs $140

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Tue May 31, 2016 7:39 pm

Yup. It is fairly simple. I use it, so it had to be! Bought mine refurbished, as well.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 790
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 20
Location : New Yawk

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Tue May 31, 2016 7:45 pm

BIS wrote:
It should but here is the owners manual that you can look through to see if it looks like something you would be interested.

http://www.tramsoft.ch/downloads/garmin/manuals/garmin_forerunner210/forerunner210_owners-manual_en.pdf

The 210 in the link I send you is a refurbished unit and that's why it's so inexpensive $60 vs $140

I know it's refurbished, that's why I was wondering if it came with the manual. Obviously a great deal $. I have the link-thanks to you!

_________________
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. - Gautama Buddha
Back to top Go down
http://nrrishere.forumotion.com
Banana!!

avatar

Posts : 166
Karma : 178
Join date : 2016-04-13

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:45 am

One of my peeves lately is the ridiculously small print on owners manuals. They use such a small font I couldn't have read it when my eyes were young and my vision was sharp. Manufacturers might as well stop including them in the box. Anymore I just go online and find the manual. Then I can zoom in and actually read the thing.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:58 am

Banana!! wrote:
One of my peeves lately is the ridiculously small print on owners manuals. They use such a small font I couldn't have read it when my eyes were young and my vision was sharp. Manufacturers might as well stop including them in the box. Anymore I just go online and find the manual. Then I can zoom in and actually read the thing.

+1 Setting up the Garmin yesterday required going on-line and viewing the instructions on the laptop. The "instruction manual" looked it was designed to be read by a mouse.

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Banana!!

avatar

Posts : 166
Karma : 178
Join date : 2016-04-13

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:35 pm

BIS wrote:
Banana!! wrote:
One of my peeves lately is the ridiculously small print on owners manuals. They use such a small font I couldn't have read it when my eyes were young and my vision was sharp. Manufacturers might as well stop including them in the box. Anymore I just go online and find the manual. Then I can zoom in and actually read the thing.

+1 Setting up the Garmin yesterday required going on-line and viewing the instructions on the laptop. The "instruction manual" looked it was designed to be read by a mouse.

Yep. They're printed on a piece of paper about the size of a square of terlit paper, folded a million times, with every language in the universe translated on it. GET OFF MY LAWN!!
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 927
Karma : 982
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:06 pm

Banana!! wrote:
BIS wrote:
Banana!! wrote:
One of my peeves lately is the ridiculously small print on owners manuals. They use such a small font I couldn't have read it when my eyes were young and my vision was sharp. Manufacturers might as well stop including them in the box. Anymore I just go online and find the manual. Then I can zoom in and actually read the thing.

+1 Setting up the Garmin yesterday required going on-line and viewing the instructions on the laptop. The "instruction manual" looked it was designed to be read by a mouse.

Yep. They're printed on a piece of paper about the size of a square of terlit paper, folded a million times, with every language in the universe translated on it. GET OFF MY LAWN!!



I don't even bother with the Lilliputian manuals. I go online, download it to iBooks and, if I think I might want to refer to it often, print it out and put it in a binder. Some of the manuals for recent machine tool / woodworking equipment seem to be printing in tissue paper. Quite incapable of holding up out in the shop.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:10 pm

Poppy Ott wrote:
Banana!! wrote:
BIS wrote:
Banana!! wrote:
One of my peeves lately is the ridiculously small print on owners manuals. They use such a small font I couldn't have read it when my eyes were young and my vision was sharp. Manufacturers might as well stop including them in the box. Anymore I just go online and find the manual. Then I can zoom in and actually read the thing.

+1 Setting up the Garmin yesterday required going on-line and viewing the instructions on the laptop. The "instruction manual" looked it was designed to be read by a mouse.

Yep. They're printed on a piece of paper about the size of a square of terlit paper, folded a million times, with every language in the universe translated on it. GET OFF MY LAWN!!



I don't even bother with the Lilliputian manuals.  I go online, download it to iBooks and, if I think I might want to refer to it often, print it out and put it in a binder.  Some of the manuals for recent machine tool / woodworking equipment seem to be printing in tissue paper.  Quite incapable of holding up out in the shop.

Serious old school right here. Very Happy

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
BurlGirl

avatar

Posts : 14
Karma : 14
Join date : 2016-04-06

PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:05 pm

I use to run with the Garmin Forerunner 305 until it finally died. I then had the 610? (the orange and gray one). LOVED it, but was tired of all the chafing from the HR monitor.

Bought a TomTom last year with the wrist HR monitor. I LOVE not having a strap - and the HR is pretty accurate on me. I've heard some people say they are not.

Things I like about the TomTom: No Chest HR strap - the wrist band is very secure and easy to "lock" - wireless upload to my phone - locates satellites quickly.

Things I dislike about the TomTom: Only able to view 3 items on the screen (Garmin has 4 on some models). Lack of color options for women in the wrist HR monitor model (although this is also true of Garmin). Loads satellites slowly, especially if you are in a location several miles from home.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: GPS watches   

Back to top Go down
 
GPS watches
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Golf Punk Lucky Draw - 3 Daniel Hectar Watches to be won
» NY Times article on GPS watches
» While illuminating watches
» Age Groups: Who Watches WWE?
» ORIS watches, what are your thoughts??

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mostly Not Running Related :: NRR Refugees :: General Discussion-
Jump to: