Mostly Not Running Related
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mostly Not Running Related

MNRR is for runners, cyclists or whatever your sport. Pull up a chair, New members welcome!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Yoga

Go down 
+3
Banana!!
BIS
Poppy Ott
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Yoga   Yoga EmptyFri May 27, 2016 12:44 pm

Yesterday I took my first yoga class. I was surprised how I broke a light sweat and although I had challenging poses, which hurt, I was surprised how relaxed and energized I felt after the class and last night.

For my first class I was able to do the stretches as the experienced yoga people- maybe this was a mistake. I'm flexible from doing a lot of stretching after my runs.

This particular class was targeted for lower body ailments. In my case, my knee and back.

However, when I woke up this morning, my knee hurt more than before the class and my extreme back soreness woke me from a sound sleep.

Does anyone else do yoga? Will I acclimate until there is no day after soreness?

I'm literally walking around with a limp from the pain in my already problematic knee.
Back to top Go down
https://nrrishere.forumotion.com
Poppy Ott

Poppy Ott

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyFri May 27, 2016 1:40 pm

I'm interested in reading answers to your questions. I never used to have any flexibility problems, but the last few years it seems everything is tightening up and I've wondered if yoga would help.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

Nazaretti

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyFri May 27, 2016 3:26 pm

My daughter is a certified, although non-practicing, yoga instructor. I'll see what she has to say about it.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyFri May 27, 2016 4:23 pm

Poppy Ott wrote:
I'm interested in reading answers to your questions.  I never used to have any flexibility problems, but the last few years it seems everything is tightening up and I've wondered if yoga would help.

I was the same way PO. I never skipped stretching after a run/workout. Suddenly I started tightening up, no matter how much more I stretched. I believe the tightness is affecting my knee and back. As of now, I must say I feel fine. It was just this morning, and I had to take an anti-inflammatory.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyFri May 27, 2016 4:23 pm

Nazaretti wrote:
My daughter is a certified, although non-practicing, yoga instructor.  I'll see what she has to say about it.

Thank you Naz! Smile
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyFri May 27, 2016 6:28 pm

Also, my right quad feels liken a sledge hammer hit it.
Back to top Go down
BIS

BIS

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyFri May 27, 2016 6:45 pm

I find yoga more of a spectator sport. Yoga 1456588397
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

Anotherrun

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyFri May 27, 2016 9:47 pm

Yoga shouldn't have made you limp! I practice off and on, the twists can hurt my lower back when it's already "tweeted". You will learn to ease into the poses. Yoga is like all exercise, you should go at your own pace. I find regular practice really helps to loosen up my tight hips, relaxes me, and when I start back up, my arms and shoulders usually feel it the next day. But a "good" hurt. Like a reminder there are muscles that I haven't been using. Be careful! No finish line with yoga, it's more a journey towards awareness.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyFri May 27, 2016 9:51 pm

Anotherrun wrote:
Yoga shouldn't have made you limp!   I practice off and on, the twists can hurt my lower back when it's already "tweeted".  You will learn to ease into the poses.  Yoga is like all exercise, you should go at your own pace.  I find regular practice really helps to loosen up my tight hips, relaxes me, and when I start back up, my arms and shoulders usually feel it the next day.  But a "good" hurt.  Like a reminder there are muscles that I haven't been using.  Be careful!  No finish line with yoga, it's more a journey towards awareness.

Makes sense. It was my first yoga class and I was up front with the experienced yogis. The instructor was surprised I did all the moves/poses for the first time and held them.

I "assumed' ..well, I'm fit so I can do it all. Next time I'll take your advice. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

Nazaretti

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptySat May 28, 2016 9:54 am

Here are my daughter's comments, some of which echo Anotherrun's:
- Find a teacher who includes good instruction on safe alignment.
- Pain is never OK in yoga. Strong stretch is OK, but not pain. Work toward differentiating between the two. If it hurts, stop.
- Muscular soreness is typical after yoga, as after any workout. Pain, like the kind making you limp, is a sign that you did too much or did something damaging.
- In trying to reach a pose, your body may compensate for stiffness in one joint by over-flexing another joint.
- You will notice your progress over time in terms of less soreness after class or increased ease of performance.
- Have fun, stay safe, remember that the ultimate point of yoga is to improve your wellbeing, as opposed to forcing yourself into that one pose!
Back to top Go down
Banana!!

Banana!!

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyMon May 30, 2016 9:36 am

Only way I'm doing yoga is if I'll eventually reach my nirvana like Will Ferrell did.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyTue May 31, 2016 7:05 pm

Banana!! wrote:
Only way I'm doing yoga is if I'll eventually reach my nirvana like Will Ferrell did.

I forgot about that skit!! Yoga 3662088992 Yoga 3662088992
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Bump:

I really feel the difference since I have been doing yoga daily. More so after runs. No more back pain, helps with knee. I was doing the typical runner's stretch for legs after runs. But what I learned in yoga, a bit harder than the stretch I was doing is helping my knee a lot.

Better than PT!

I only wish I listened and started it sooner. I also feel very relaxed when I stay with it for a full half hour. Not sure how this works.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

Nazaretti

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 6:25 am

HonkyTonkRunner wrote:
Bump:

I really feel the difference since I have been doing yoga daily. More so after runs. No more back pain, helps with knee. I was doing the typical runner's stretch for legs after runs. But what I learned in yoga, a bit harder than the stretch I was doing is helping my knee a lot.

Better than PT!

I only wish I listened and started it sooner. I also feel very relaxed when I stay with it for a full half hour. Not sure how this works.

Quite a switch from your opening post! I'm glad it is working for you.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

Anotherrun

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 8:27 am

HTR, that's great news.  Glad to hear you are feeling better and relaxed is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 5:07 pm

Anotherrun wrote:
HTR, that's great news.  Glad to hear you are feeling better and relaxed is a good thing.

Thanks AR. next, I'm going to do hot yoga for the first time, and then do body camp yoga for intense toning and stretching.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

Anotherrun

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 7:14 pm

I would like to hear your thoughts after you try hot yoga.  I have not tried it.  By the way, you inspired me to get more regular with my yoga.  Two days in a row.  I aim for 25 min or so.  I was feeling really crappy on Monday morning, but I think it was some dehydration.  I am working on improving on that also.  Anyway, I pulled out the mat, fired up the iPad and followed a video.  Yep, relaxation.  Thanks HTR.
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptyMon Jul 11, 2016 6:01 pm

Anotherrun wrote:
I would like to hear your thoughts after you try hot yoga.  I have not tried it.  By the way, you inspired me to get more regular with my yoga.  Two days in a row.  I aim for 25 min or so.  I was feeling really crappy on Monday morning, but I think it was some dehydration.  I am working on improving on that also.  Anyway, I pulled out the mat, fired up the iPad and followed a video.  Yep, relaxation.  Thanks HTR.

That's great AR. With the risk of sounding corny, I feel rejuvenated after only 30 minutes of yoga. I'm guessing it keeps the mind focused on the stretch moves and off stress. I haven't been able to run back to back days until yoga on a daily basis.

I will let you know about hot yoga. I'm also taking the boot camp yoga. It's more intense for toning. Yoga 4145700275
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 11:55 am

My back and neck pain are gone as I am frequently taking more yoga classes. In fact, I consider myself a yogi Cool
I only wish I had diligently practiced this sooner. I have not taken the -bad-for -your kidneys anti-inflammatory prescription either.

But, knee pain is still chronic. Some yoga stretches I can't do because of my knee pain. And I'm not going for another MRI for a $100 co-payment for the doc to tell me they don't see naything. I got a third opinion.
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

Nazaretti

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 5:02 pm

yogini? Is your knee bad enough to justify a replacement?
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

HonkyTonkRunner

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 5:38 pm

Hee-hee. Yogi is a nickname for someone who practices yoga.

Knee replacement? I don't want to go there. I have not gotten an MRI. I can walk and run and deal with the chronic pain. I have a feeling it's something with the hamstring. But also pins and needles, it goes out sometimes (just collapses).
Back to top Go down
Nazaretti

Nazaretti

Yoga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoga   Yoga EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 7:26 pm

Contemporary definitions for yogini
noun

a female yoga practitioner; a female yogi
Word Origin

Sanskrit

I like your new avatar!