Mostly Not Running Related

MNRR is for runners, cyclists or whatever your sport. Pull up a chair, New members welcome!
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 The National Park System

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: The National Park System   Wed May 04, 2016 9:06 pm

Let's talk about National (or other) Parks you have visited in the US.

Here is a list of all of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_parks_of_the_United_States

Yellowstone is as far East as I have been. Incredible. Could camp there for a year.



What parks have you visited? I would love to hear about Eastern Parks especially. Anyone been to The Everglades or Biscayne?

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 920
Karma : 975
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Wed May 04, 2016 9:40 pm

I'm going to take this in reverse order and list the ones I have not visited:

Have not been to Akaska or Hawaii, so those.
Voyagers
Mammoth Cave
Cuyahoga Valley
Congaree
Everglades
Biscayne
Acadia
Dry Tortugas
Virgin Islands

The rest I've visited to at least once, and several I have been to multiple times.
Back to top Go down
RSX

avatar

Posts : 129
Karma : 133
Join date : 2016-04-16

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Wed May 04, 2016 9:53 pm

0 I'm more into visiting cities
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Wed May 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Poppy Ott wrote:
I'm going to take this in reverse order and list the ones I have not visited:

Have not been to Akaska or Hawaii, so those.
Voyagers
Mammoth Cave
Cuyahoga Valley
Congaree
Everglades
Biscayne
Acadia
Dry Tortugas
Virgin Islands

The rest I've visited to at least once, and several I have been to multiple times.  

Poppy, you and I need to go camping!

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Wed May 04, 2016 10:07 pm

I have been to quite a few NP's. Yes, Everglades, airboat rides are FUN. Saw a couple of gators in the. Swamp. More In a sanctuary type place.
Other parks I have visited: Great Smokey Mtns, Cuyahoga Valley, Acadia, Shenandoah, Cumberland Gap, Mammoth Cave, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain (to date, my favorite place to hike), Yellowstone, Bad Lands, Glacier Bay (on a cruise ship), Hawaii Volcanoes, Haleakala. I collect the park pamphlets, get a stamp from the park office in my NP Passbook, and do something in each park. Usually consists of a hike or better, several hikes. Although not a NP, pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is a nice visit, as well. Love stirring up my NP geekiness.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Wed May 04, 2016 10:35 pm

Anotherrun wrote:
I have been to quite a few NP's.  Yes, Everglades, airboat rides are FUN.  Saw a couple of gators in the. Swamp.  More In a sanctuary type place.
Other parks I have visited: Great Smokey Mtns, Cuyahoga Valley, Acadia, Shenandoah, Cumberland Gap, Mammoth Cave, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain (to date, my favorite place to hike), Yellowstone, Bad Lands, Glacier Bay (on a cruise ship), Hawaii Volcanoes, Haleakala.   I collect the park pamphlets, get a stamp from the park office in my NP Passbook, and do something in each park.  Usually consists of a hike or better, several hikes.  Although not a NP, pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is a nice visit, as well.   Love stirring up my NP geekiness.  


_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Curiosity



Posts : 24
Karma : 24
Join date : 2016-04-13

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Wed May 04, 2016 10:56 pm

I've been to:

Acadia
Badlands
Bryce
Grand Canyon
Smokey Mountains
Hawaii Volcanoes
Kings Canyon
Lassen
Redwood
Rocky Mountain
Sequoia
Shanandoah
Wind Cave
Yellowstone
Yosemite
Zion

I've been around about another 1/2 dozen but don't remember if I was inside the actual park boundaries or not.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Wed May 04, 2016 11:16 pm

What did you think of Wind Cave?

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Curiosity



Posts : 24
Karma : 24
Join date : 2016-04-13

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Thu May 05, 2016 1:30 am

It was a long time ago - I was out on a cycling trip and spending a few hours underground during midday was a welcome relief from the heat.

I was interesting - a bunch of different kinds of formations. If I remember right, Wind Cave built a number of viewing platforms to keep people off the formations themselves. Of course when you see these things all you want to do is reach out and touch them, but the platforms kept you out of arms reach. I think Wind Cave and Jewel Cave are connected.

My favorite thing in that area is Crazy Horse. I was pretty blown away by that.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Thu May 05, 2016 1:38 am

I've been to Crazy Horse, also blown away. It does more than grab your attention when you drive up on it. When we went a few years ago it was so much a work in progress relying on donations. I don't think much has changed.

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
HonkyTonkRunner

avatar

Posts : 637
Karma : 790
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 20
Location : New Yawk

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Thu May 05, 2016 9:52 am

As a kid only the Grand Canyon.
However, when we visit Nevada this August we are taking the 6 hour ride (making a day out of it) to visit it again. It will be the first time my daughters will see it.

And for those of you who have a list of the wonderful parks you visited-I'm jealous. But in due time I plan to visit. I love nature. And, I would love to run in them.

_________________
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. - Gautama Buddha
Back to top Go down
http://nrrishere.forumotion.com
Capt Awesome

avatar

Posts : 55
Karma : 57
Join date : 2016-04-05

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Thu May 05, 2016 10:37 am

Quite a few, but not enough... especially since I haven't been to the Pacific Coast states at all.

Acadia
Arches
Badlands
Biscayne
Bryce Canyon
Canyonlands
Carlsbad Cavern
Everglades
Grand Canyon
Grand Teton
Sand Dunes
Smoky Mountains
Mammoth Cave
Petrified Forest
Rocky Mountain
Shenandoah
Wind Cave
Yellowstone
Zion
Back to top Go down
Banana!!

avatar

Posts : 166
Karma : 178
Join date : 2016-04-13

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Thu May 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Generally I don't like big natl or state parks cuz there's too many people.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Thu May 05, 2016 5:14 pm

I took bananas to several parks. I liked them. Razz
Back to top Go down
Banana!!

avatar

Posts : 166
Karma : 178
Join date : 2016-04-13

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Thu May 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Anotherrun wrote:
I took bananas to several parks.  I liked them.  Razz

And you can just throw the wrappers on the ground because they biodegrade.
Back to top Go down
Anotherrun

avatar

Posts : 557
Karma : 566
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Thu May 05, 2016 5:42 pm

Carry out what you carry in!
Back to top Go down
Poppy Ott

avatar

Posts : 920
Karma : 975
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 19
Location : Corinth, Mississippi

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Thu May 05, 2016 9:05 pm

BIS wrote:
Let's talk about National (or other) Parks you have visited in the US.

Here is a list of all of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_parks_of_the_United_States

Yellowstone is as far East as I have been. Incredible. Could camp there for a year.



What parks have you visited? I would love to hear about Eastern Parks especially. Anyone been to The Everglades or Biscayne?


That's a great picture. Yellowstone is both beautiful and surreal. Loved going there years ago when it was less crowded.
Back to top Go down
birdwell

avatar

Posts : 94
Karma : 100
Join date : 2016-04-05

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Thu May 05, 2016 9:42 pm

Zion
Bryce
Grand
Glacier
Waterton Lakes and Jasper (Canadian National Park)

I'm sure there are a few I'm missing.

The main roads of all the parks are very busy, but you can get away from them easily.

I can get away from everyone in Zion in 25 minutes of hiking even on the busiest summer days.
Back to top Go down
BIS

avatar

Posts : 691
Karma : 824
Join date : 2016-04-05
Age : 51
Location : Jackson, CA

PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   Thu May 05, 2016 9:43 pm

birdwell wrote:


The main roads of all the parks are very busy, but you can get away from them easily.

I can get away from everyone in Zion in 25 minutes of hiking even on the busiest summer days.

I have found this to be true as well. Even at the busiest time of year at Yosemite not too many people leave the valley.

_________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The National Park System   

Back to top Go down
 
The National Park System
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» 16 July 11 Glacier National Park
» Monument Valley, Zion National Park the actual ride!
» Can you fossick in Chapel Hill ?
» WRT-Maze-Henry Mnts--SE Utah RR
» Over Trail Ridge Road for Breakfast.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mostly Not Running Related :: NRR Refugees :: General Discussion-
Jump to: